Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Just When...

Just when I get you out of my head and my heart and my life.
Just when I think that it's possible that there could be
someone
else

(possible - you know - likely)

That eventually
I could
find
someone else.

Just when that idea enters my realm of possibility
because you have finally vacated that property in my head and my heart and my


everything,



You stop for a visit.
You sit down on my couch.
And I am suddenly reminded that

Just when
I thought all your belongings were gone
you are still,
in fact,
at home here
with me

in my head and heart and everything

And
Just when I think that I have no choice
but
to let you stay

I remember
that
Just when I let you in
you left

and
Just when I thought it was safe
to be open
to be alive
I start to question
if
I want to be open and alive
without you

Can I be
open and alive without you?

And
Just when I
realize
that I can

You come for a visit.

But don't get comfortable
because
just when
you think that you're here to stay.
It's likely

(likely - you know - possible)

that I will
kick you out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this. Lets submit it to Essence for their section of poetry written by readers. Thoughts?