Thursday, September 6, 2007

Adventures in Dating...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and hoping for different results. Me + craigslist = insanity. I keep saying I'm going to stop posting personals, but I don't. I'm about to post another one as soon as I think of something witty to say. I mean what does it hurt really? It's annoying, yes. And a little depressing - particularly when a guy doesn't reply after seeing my pic. Like really? You're trolling craigslist, too, stop acting like you're really something special.

I guess it really just highlights the general state of my love life. Generally I'm not impressed by anyone - and apparently no one is impressed by me either. I did meet an interesting guy at the gym last week - unfortunately he's African. And, making sweeping generalizations, African guys are chauvinistic and possessive - so that wouldn't work for me. I really don't understand, though, why it's so difficult to find a smart, interesting, ambitious, good looking black man in the Bay Area. Not that there were tons in DC, but still. They're all either in their 30s (nothing wrong with that, but they think I'm "young") or they're none of the above - they have kids, they're ugly, they're dumb as all get out (or think it's cool to seem it), they're dull, they can't hold a conversation. Sigh.

In the meantime - here's the latest example of my insanity:

SBW - Are you looking for me? - 25 (oakland hills / mills)


Reply to: pers-415648991@craigslist.org
Date: 1969-12-31, 4:33PM PST


Are you looking for a smart, sweet, sexy, sophisticated woman?

Well - HI!

I'm all of those...and a little more. I'm 25, live in Oakland, and have been in the Bay Area for a year. I'm not outdoorsy, but I enjoy hiking and learned how to snowboard last season. I enjoy good wine, interesting conversation, and traveling (internationally and domestic). I listen to NPR, hip hop, classic rock, experimental folk, and RnB. I love to laugh and dance and knit and shop. I have a hard time saying no and am a bit of a bleeding heart - so I volunteer with a couple organizations in Oakland. I try to spend as many hours at the gym as I do trying to find a good happy hour.

So I'm hoping you're looking for someone like me. I'm looking for someone who is smart, can make me laugh and can make me blush. I'm looking for someone who likes hiking and happy hours and hopping on a plane to wherever whenever the mood strikes. I'm allergic to drama. I don't do drugs, and you shouldn't either.

I'm hoping you'll reply to this ad with a picture and tell me something interesting about yourself. Something so interesting that I'll actually laugh out loud here at work (or maybe just get a sweet, slightly naughty smile). I'll reply back with a picture of me and hopefully we can get a good conversation going. Single black men preferred - being single and a man isn't optional.




No comments: