Thursday, September 20, 2007

Brilliant and Fabulous Recipe - Shrimp Veracruz

I just realized that I could share something brilliant and fabulous this week...a recipe!

My friend and coworker Ann is always teasing me about how I cook. So does my mom. I just don't want to fall into the idea of being the quintessential single woman eating light popcorn, Lean Cuisine and Haagen-Dazs for dinner. Not that I don't have popcorn (and wine) for dinner. Occasionally. But most of the time I like to have real food and a nice home-cooked meal.

That said - I'm always on the hunt for easy, quick, made for 1 or 2 meals. The website Yumsugar almost always delivers. Having met Ms. Yumsugar herself, I know that she's also young, brilliant, fabulous, and busy (she's a fellow Yelper). I found this recipe a few months ago and it's totally part of my repertoire/rotation because it's yummy, quick, and can be made with ingredients I almost always have on hand.

Fire Roasted Tomato-Shrimp Veracruz
From Oprah

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 pound medium raw shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails removed (if desired)
4 medium green onions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
1 medium fresh jalapeƱo or serrano chile, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 14 1/2-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained. (If fire-roasted tomatoes are unavailable, use regular canned diced tomatoes.)

  1. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp, green onions, chile, orange zest and thyme in the oil for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
  2. Stir in the tomatoes. Heat the mixture until it boils.
  3. Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and firm and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.

Serves 4.

Nutritional information: 180 calories, 5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 172 mg of cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 7 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 24 grams protein

Some notes - I use Trader Joe's or Contessa brand frozen, cooked, tail off shrimp instead of raw - this does change the cooking time a little. I also almost always use regular onions (usually small walla walla onions from the farmer's market) - cause I have them on hand. I serve with whole wheat cous cous. Enjoy!

No comments: