Thursday, September 6, 2007

I am not my hair - or am I?

In 2002, I cut off all my hair. ALL of it. well most of it...but I got sick of the drama of having relaxed hair and cut it off. For almost 3 years, I had a "natural" - I eventually texturized my hair, but no relaxer. Then I tried to do a more "conservative look" and relaxed it, only to have to cut it all off again because the relaxer had done so much damage.

So for the last 2 years I had a natural. Well I still have a natural - but it's under a weave.

Yep - a weave...like Beyonce, Tyra, and all of them...

My hair is longer than it's been in 20 years. And by my hair I mean the weave. I've had braids. I had braids for the last year, but decided to try something new.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I know - for $400 I damn well better love it. Which I do. But have I sold out? When I cut off my hair, I got a lot of questions and comments about men, particularly black men, preferring long hair. At the time I said - "I refuse to be defined by my hair"...and actually I hooked up more in that first year of short hair, than I have since (but maybe that doesn't mean much).

Now, I am, as my mom put it, the "dream look...long hair and light skin" (and yes, by the way, I've got a nice booty). I'm pretty sure I did this for me. But I'm completely sure that I'm enjoying the glances that are way more appreciative than they were with my little afro only last week. Or maybe I just notice them more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a good idea to grow the perm out. The texturizer is not bad but putting the texturizer and after that putting a perm in was not a good idea at all. The directions on the texturizer directions strictly say not to put the perm over the texturizer. It causes extreme DAMAGE.