Sunday, September 2, 2007

One year later

A year ago today, I moved to Oakland. I got in. Picked up my rental truck (from Zipcar) and went to Ikea to replace my furniture.

1 year
2 apartments
1 roommate
1 cat
and lots more other stuff later.

I'm still here. In sum, I think it was a good move. I don't know if it was just the timing of the move with the other stuff, but I've definitely been stretched and have grown. That's not to say that there aren't days when I miss DC. I do. It was home. I'm also (fairly often) genuinely lonely here. I've found the odd person to hang out with and groups to join. But that's not the same as having real actual friends. I'm learning to deal with it. I think that my sudden desperation to get married is definitely heightened by being here - alone.

Beyond the loneliness, this was a good move. Like I said - I've stretched and grown. I have tried new things - like hiking and snowboarding. It's a better place career wise. And all around, it's just been good for me.

This was total prattle. It's hard to put in words the experience of moving cross country.

No comments: